Oswestry has been a home for football for as long as anyone can remember, in fact there are no official records relating to when the team was formed but it is a common perception that Oswestry FC would have been one of the first football teams formed in the world … maybe even the first. Originally born as Oswestry United, friendly matches were played on the local cricket pitch against local teams such as Chirk, Ruabon and the Druids, all of which are from the surrounding areas of Wrexham in North Wales. Oswestry United was a member member, along with Ruabon, Chirk and Druids of a league which covered North Wales and the Northern west of England known as "The combination".
In 1876, Oswestry became a founder member of the Football Association of Wales, subsequently entering the first ever Welsh cup the following season. Following the war, the team was renamed to Oswestry Town and they began competitiveness in the Welsh Alliance league Oswestry Town would later move to face different competition in the Birmingham league having been crowned champions of the Welsh Alliance in 1924 and desiring new challenges which came in the face of restructured teams such as Telford United, Shrewbury Town and Kidderminster Harriers.
Spells in the Cheshire League, the Southern Premier League and the Northern Premier League would follow put over time Oswestry Town began to struggle both on the pitch and off the pitch as the finances became strained and debt mounted This resolved in the sad sale of their long time home, the Victoria Road Ground and a period where football in Oswestry was suspended, possibly for the long term. Sometimes fortunes began to upturn with the use of the Park Hall site located on the outskirts of the town. Park Hall was an army built facility that already hosted many different sports in the area including Rugby Union and horse riding.
During the clubs stagnant years the face of football had changed with the introduction of a national league of Wales. As mentioned earlier Oswestry Town had been founder members of the Welsh Football Association and so had the right to play within it's league. Oswestry Town recommenced their football by entering the Welsh Nation League (Wrexham area) and began to clime the pyramid system of welsh football Leagues. Upon reaching the Cymru Alliance league which is one of two feeder leagues to the League of Wales. Oswestry Town won a League and Cup double at the first time of asking. However, sadly they were denied their chance of life in the top tier of Welsh football due to the Park Hall ground not meeting strict stadium requirements of the league. After much funding and contributions the club were able to raise money to purchase floodlights which brought the ground up to the correct standard and another successful Cymru Alliance season in 1999/2000 was met with further financial difficulties which again resulted the move to the League of Wales . This time the financial difficulties were too severe for the club to overcome and Oswestry Town have now played their last match. Football in Oswestry continues, at Park Hall due to the relocation of The New Saints who were previously based in nearby Lantsantfraid.